[ODE] Introduction

Dave Grundgeiger dave.grundgeiger at codenouveau.com
Mon Feb 5 14:54:58 MST 2007

Hi. I'm new to the list, so I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Dave Grundgeiger. I've been a developer for 17 years, mostly using Microsoft products. For the past three years I've been an independent contractor and .NET architecture consultant, working mostly in C#. I've been working with .NET since 2000, and I wrote a couple of O'Reilly books.

For the last few years my interest in free (unencumbered) software has been growing. It started when I looked into the possibility of using open-source tools for .NET development on Windows. (I didn't want to spend the money on Visual Studio for use at home.) I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything I needed was available at no cost (except for Windows!). I'm now trying to develop a business around teaching those tools.

I've been interested in coding 3D games and virtual reality for many years, but it's not my area of expertise. (I write custom software for large businesses, such as insurance companies. I do have a strong background in physics and math, though.) I've been experimenting with ODE off and on for a few weeks now. I'm using Code::Blocks on Windows and have been having a blast. My first experiment was to model a gyroscope. I wanted to see if the spinning gyroscope would precess without me coding that behavior explicitly. I finished it yesterday, and sure enough, it does! A small victory, but intensely satisfying.

Dave