[ODE] Pendulum with changing anchor position

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Fri Oct 6 06:07:21 MST 2006

I want to model a pendelum where the position of the anchor point is
moving and I need to damp the pendulum movement with an angular motor
so it stops it movements in a reasonamble time.  So how do I do this?

I have built a regulator that moves the position of a box.  I
connected a box coresponding to a rope to this and I got a movement
that did not stop in a reasonable time.  I then tried to connect the
box to the static environment through two slider joints and it did
work to move it around and its rotation did not change.  I then
connected the "rope" through a ball joint but I got some strange
effect so I suspect this is not a good approach.  Or do you think this
approach will work and I just have to find the remaining bugs?

The real scenario is a helicopter whose position is simulated in
another simulator and I want to use ODE to simulate a winch mounted on
the helicopter.

--
/Tommy Persson