[ODE] Huge world vs precision problems

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Mar 10 15:35:11 MST 2006

Megan Fox wrote:

> The trick works fine for rendering, definately, but to pull that off
> in ODE you're effectively calling setpos on everything before every
> phys world update.  Isn't that a "Bad Idea" (I thought setpos tended
> to infere with the solver)?

I was thinking that you use ODE with doubles for the regular integration
and "easy" primitive testing, and only move geoms around when testing
against mesh primitives. In fact, you could keep one of each of sphere,
box, etc in your code, not in any space, to set position on, and one
instance of each mesh that's centered at the origin. Inside the
nearcallback, if testing against a mesh, move/rotate the test primitive,
and collide it against the mesh instance centered on the origin.

Cheers,

			/ h+