[ODE] Huge world vs precision problems

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:46:16 MST 2006

Break the world into "grids" with load zones, and only load up the 3x3
array's worth of terrain directly surrounding the grid that contains
the player.  The hard loads give you a chance to "re-center" any
already-loaded content about a new world center (along with unloading
the 3 "scrolled off" sectors and loading the 3 "scrolled on").

... won't work if you actually NEED the entire world in sim at once,
but most applications don't.

On 3/9/06, Anders Olofsson <anders.olofsson at biologigrand.ac> wrote:
> Hello all!.
>
> I have a huge world, around 2500*2500 km, and have obviously encounter
> precision problems. I think I've solved the triangle collision problems I
> described before but I stumbled on yet another, geomtransforms! (Or I guess
> positioning in general).
>
> I have an object made of several geoms and if I place it at origin (0,0,0)
> of my world it works great but at the outer edges of the world the same
> object geoms positions starts to wobble/jitter. I'm working with floats
> haven't tried doubles yet, I'm not particulary familiar with the
> floatingpoints types precision limits.
>
> What are my options?, I thought of partitioning up my world in smaller
> chunks that floats can handle. But in practice I haven't figured out how to
> do that, is it possible somehow? How small/large would those chunks be?.
> (Or at around what huge number start floats to loose their precision? :) )
>
> Some other more "quick fix"?
>
> Thanks!

-Megan Fox
http://shalinor.circustent.us/megan/resume/