[ODE] Huge world vs precision problems

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Thu Mar 9 03:46:50 MST 2006

Anders Olofsson wrote:
> Hello all!.
>
> I have a huge world, around 2500*2500 km, and have obviously encounter
> precision problems. I think I've solved the triangle collision problems I
> described before but I stumbled on yet another, geomtransforms! (Or I guess
> positioning in general).
>
> I have an object made of several geoms and if I place it at origin (0,0,0)
> of my world it works great but at the outer edges of the world the same
> object geoms positions starts to wobble/jitter. I'm working with floats
> haven't tried doubles yet, I'm not particulary familiar with the
> floatingpoints types precision limits.
>
> What are my options?, I thought of partitioning up my world in smaller
> chunks that floats can handle. But in practice I haven't figured out how to
> do that, is it possible somehow? How small/large would those chunks be?.
> (Or at around what huge number start floats to loose their precision? :) )
>
> Some other more "quick fix"?

quickest fix:

./configure --with-double-precision

  Bram

> Thanks!

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."