[ODE] ODE Octree culling

J. Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 06:03:15 MST 2006

On 3/1/06, Jeremy Roberts <jroberts at digipen.edu> wrote:
>    Yeah, that may work.  True.  Thanks for the info.  I am somewhat new to
> octrees though and my concern is that adding/removing objects from the tree
> may not be that efficient when dealing with dynamic (physically moving)
> objects that move on a regular basis.
> (snip)
> Do you know a more efficient way?  How does ODE handle their tree?

How many objects do you plan to have in your scene? How many moving at
once? If you have the fairly typical case of a few moving objects and
lots of static scenery, you can just keep the dynamic objects in a
separate list outside of the octree. Unless the number of objects in
your scene is large, you may not need the octree at all. Bounding
spheres or boxes grouped into large regions might give you better
performance with less complexity.

>   Nguyen said that rendering and physics culling are different.  From what
> he said I am deducing that you only need to update the physics of
> dynamically moving objects when they are visible.

I think that is highly dependent on what you are simulating.

Hope this is useful,

Jason