[ODE] ODE and the STL

Daniel K. O. danielko.listas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 06:23:21 MST 2006

2006/12/24, Jon Watte (ODE) <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org>:
> If you use STL in ODE, then everyone will have to compile ODE
> themselves, because they might have different STL versions (STLPort,
> GNU, various versions, various Microsoft STL versions, etc etc ad infinum)

Not true if you restrict the STL for internal use - that is, do not
expose it through the API - which is pretty reasonable, as ODE is a C
library. I've DLLs with 3 different STL implementations (GNU
libstdc++, MS, STLport), and never had any problem. So the problem
that worries you can be avoided by simply stating that STL the
dependency shouldn't leak out of the implementation.

The problem that seems more significant: does using the STL have any
negative impact on performance?

PS: Now, looking at the patch, it seems the STL includes are too
exposed, maybe it needs a bit of cleanup.

--
Daniel K. O.