[ODE] Documentation about physics simulation libraries

erwin@erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Fri Dec 1 15:06:56 MST 2006

There is some physics engine list here:
http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/ansatte/kenny/other.html

It would be interesting to have some feature and performance comparison, but
that tends to be subjective. In other words, there are always ways to make
one Physics SDK look better then another.

Technically:
Constraint solving: most physics engines use iterative LCP solvers in some
form, either using Successive Overrelaxation/Projected Gauss Seidel or using
sequential impulses (almost identical approaches).

Collision Detection: most physics engines use a broadphase like sweep and
prune, or a hash grid.
Narrow phase pair-wise collision detection: they use generic approaches like
Separating Axis Theorem (SAT) or GJK based approaches and/or optimized
version for particular cases like sphere-sphere contact generation.

Other aspects that matter in my opinion are friction model, contact point
management (persistency?), platform/hardware specific optimizations (SIMD,
GPU), API (C, C++), active development (new releases), support (a great
community like ODE), available integrations with existing graphics engines
(OGRE, Torque, C4, etc) , scripting languages (Java, XNA, python),
non-rigidbody features like Cloth, deformable, fracture etc. etc.

Hope this helps,
Erwin Coumans
http://bulletphysics.com