[ODE] Modelling Joint Friction

Peter Kyme pk at dneg.com
Fri Sep 23 12:24:39 MST 2005

I need friction in my joints, so I've implemented the solution given in
the docs:

"Motors can also be used to accurately model dry (or Coulomb) friction
in joints. Simply set the desired velocity to zero and set the maximum
force to some constant value - then all joint motion will be impeded by
that force."

This solution works for an average case, but it does not seem to cope
with high friction. For example, if I set the maximum force to dInfinity
I would expect the joint to become completely rigid.

In actual fact the joint still moves. It appears that all high values of
maximum force tend towards the same result. Is it not the case that with
a maximum force of dInfinity and a desired velocity of zero the joint
should never move?

Thanks.