[ODE] movement force conversion

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Tue Mar 15 20:07:23 MST 2005

Jon Watte wrote:
> Now, calculate the torque necessary to move the body to the
> desired angle in the next timestep

How do you do that? A character consists of an entire hierarchy of rigid
bodies that are connected with joints. How do I calculate, say, the
torque I have to apply to the left hip joint? There is not just one
single rigid body attached to the hip joint but an entire subhierarchy
(aka the left leg). And if I later apply a torque to the knee it will
also influence the thigh which I have to take into account when
calculating the torque of the hip joint and so on...
How do I ensure that a foot with ground contact remains planted? What if
both feet have ground contact?

- Matthias -