[ODE] movement force conversion

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Mar 15 14:15:40 MST 2005

The physics system will ensure that the feet remain planted, because
it will create contact joints between floor and foot, and you give it
some amount of friction. If you have a sloppy animation, it will
exceed foot friction, and it will slip. If you make friction low, it
will "walk" as if on ice, and quite possibly fall over. The draw-backs
of a physically modeled system!

You're right in that the entire leg adds inertia that makes the hip
bending harder than it "should" be. Similarly, when bending the hip
bone, you actually also counter-bend the pelvis it's attached to.
However, if you accumulate error, and increase the torque applied for
errors that remain after a few steps (a la a typical integrating
controller system), it will all average out. To make the character not
fall over, either be really good with your animation, or add a magic
torque to the root bone (typically, your pelvis) that attempts to
right it up (make it match the animation) every frame; again with an
error integration to yield extra force as necessary.

I know it sounds somewhat crazy, but it really does work, assuming
you have a reasonable physical skeleton and reasonable walk cycle
animation.

Cheers,

			/ h+