[ODE] Joint instability with small bodys

Patrick McColgan patrick at torcinteractive.com
Tue Jun 7 15:36:55 MST 2005

Hello, I'm having difficulties with using the standard ODE joints with
'small' objects.

Whilst bodies with dimensions around and below 0.2 are fine colliding as
rigid bodies, creating constraints between them produces constant
instability.  My basic test has been to have a static body floating in
midair (using a fixed joint) and then attach another body to it using a
ball or hinge, the joined bodies do not collide with each other and are
not close enough to collide with anything else.

Has this come up before?  I searched the archives but found nothing I
felt was relevant, I know it has been said here before that measures
should be kept around 1.0, certainly constraints prove to be fine with
higher values but has anyone come across this before and maybe found
ways to deal with it?

I'mn using double precision but is this likely to be a numerical
inaccuracy problem?