[ODE] Repositioning a jointed body

Graham Fyffe gfyffe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 17:35:46 MST 2004

Hi!  I have had similar mis-luck with trying to reposition joints,
i.e. dynamically changing the anchors or the axes of joints.  I ended
up creating a whole set of functions like dJointSetHingeAnchorRel,
dJointSetHingeAxisRel, dJointSetHingeQRel and so on and adding it to
my copy of ODE.  This works as expected.  I had to do this because I
wanted to dynamically update the center of gravity of my bodies, and
dMassTranslate plain doesn't work.  So I change the position of the
body instead, and I update all the joints that anchor to it.

Suffice it to say, a nice addition to ODE would be some helper
functions for dynamically adjusting things.  ODE works great if you
set up once, and run, but if you want to be changing things like this,
it's a monster :)

- Graham Fyffe