[ODE] Springs with ODE

Federico Andres Lois flois at madryn.com.ar
Sat Feb 21 11:05:05 MST 2004

Hi I am a completly newbie regarding physics packages and ODE (not a good
combination). So I will ask some questions that maybe are a little off or
just too dumb.

I have to do a Spring based graph visualization algorithm. And I had been
looking through ODE and couldnt find direct support for spring systems so I
guess I have to implement them by myself... The problem is that I dont know
what kind of joint to use and where to position it...

For instance this is the algorithm more or less:

BEGIN
Place randomly the nodes of the graph in the world.
Assign values based on actual node information
    - Lenght of the spring
    - Mass of the body
    - Damping (constant)
Set the joints between connected nodes. (actually this is what I need to
know how to do) Several nodes can be connected to a node.

While ( the graph is not in a stable configuration ) do
    - Apply forces from the springs.
    - Integrator step
    - Render result

END

I need the objects to be able to move arround between each timestep to make
the graph find a stable configuration. That would change the angle of the
connection object, so I dont think I can use a slider (am I wrong).

Thanks in advance.

Federico Andres Lois
CS Student
Argentina