[ODE] Switching between an immovable and movable body ? and Manual body control ?

Rob Ruck bobruck at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 6 10:42:55 MST 2003

New to the mailing list, and not surprisingly a few questions:

- I know that a static body can be created, i.e. for dgeomsetbody() you pass it
0/null body id. Which works fine, but why can this status not be changed
during a simulation; if I create a body, set it to geometry, and then decide to
make it static, using dgeomsetbody() with body id of 0 (and maybe disabling
the body, just so the geom and body match up). However, if a geom has
previously had a body set to it, setting the body to 0 doesn't work the same
as if no body had been set, the geom no longer seems to be collidable, why
is this ? Will there never be a simple flag setting akin to Havok's pinning,
whereby a bodys geom's are all set to a mass of zero, making them
collidable, but they never move ?

- In general I know its a bad idea to assume control of physics objects,
causes interpenetrations, etc. But if I need to put an object under say mouse
control, is it best to use a constraint whereby by said object is one part of the
constraint and the other is simply a co-ordinate transformed from screen to 3d
space ?

Thanks for any answers

--Rob Ruck
--ICQ#66577271