[ODE] XML

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Feb 18 21:42:01 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Chris Brodie wrote:

> > The more I think about it, the more I think it's best treated
> > completely separately.  There will likely be as many control systems
> > as projects [...]
>
> Yep, my point was more along the lines of having a control point for
> say turning the steering wheel on a car, a factor of 'left' is applied
> or 'right'. Not so much the actual mappings to devices like
> mouse\keyboard etc. But yes, seperate might be the way to go, it'll
> make it harder to map a function to a certain node however(imagien
> applying power to a certain wheel in a limited slip diff 4wd. What
> wheel are you looking for?

I think it would be good to have each body and joint have a unique
identifier - even just a name in plain text.  Then the control system code
could just iterate the joint list looking for "steering hinge" and "left
front axle" and so on.

I think differential-type functionality belongs in the application
itself... so the application just needs to be able to find the joints that
get motorized, then it can decide how much force to apply to each joint.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA