[ODE] moving platforms in a game

gary herman garymichaelherman at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 13:24:54 MST 2007

I'm trying to implement a moving platform, which my character
can jump on and move along with the platform.

The platform currently is only a geometry, which is being moved
using dGeomSetPosition.  Currently the character correctly collides
with the moving platform but doesn't move with it.

Should I make the moving platform a body attached to the static
world geometry with a slider joint?  I'm afraid doing this will cause
the platform to fall when the character's weight lands on it.

Or should I use a dContactMotion1 contact joint, and calculate the
velocity of the moving platform, and use that as the motion1 variable?
I've been struggling to get this to work correctly.

If anyone has already solved this problem,  please let me know...

Thanks
 - gary

gary herman
technical director