[ODE] Question about render pipeline culling and ODE Quadtrees.

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Sep 13 16:26:17 MST 2007

It is very common to have totally different spatial data structures (and
even vertex data) for physics vs graphics purposes. In fact, AI often
has its own, third data structure. This is so, because the needs of the
systems, once you optimize them, are very different.

If you want to use ODE spaces for view frustum culling, you can either
implement a Frustum primitive (geom), or you can use a best-fit
geometry, such as a bounding sphere, to do a first-level cull, and then
do the actual frustum cull against the returned set. However, frustum
culling is usually so fast that optimizing it seldom helps frame rates
at all. If you have the number of objects where this starts becoming a
problem (> 10,000), you have other problems, too, such as the batching
overhead when submitting to the graphics card, and the solution is to
aggregate geometries into bigger sets.

Cheers,

          / h+