[ODE] Collision Performance and Spaces

rogueclarkey grantclark at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 06:32:04 MST 2007

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my ODE simulation for the
best performance. I have an environment which is a trimesh of around 14429
vertices and 17339 triangles.

I create a quadtree collision space with the extents set to slightly larger
than the extents of my environment and a depth of 4.

I have 7 boxes in the environment which are cars and I use raycasts to
simulate the wheels. At the moment I'm just adding everything to the
quadtree collision space I've created.

When I profile my application the OBB and raycast functions are high on the
list for taking the most time.

Based on the vertex/triangle counts is my environment particularly large and
bad for performance?
Is this the best way to setup my simulation for basically 7 boxes and a
trimesh environment?
Would I gain anything from splitting my environment up into smaller chunks
and then adding them to my collision space?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

cheers,
Grant