[ODE] Best way to achieve this effect

Georg Martius mai99dgf at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Sat Oct 27 03:39:44 MST 2007

Hi,

I suggest you have make the skateboard work yourself. I mean write some code
which is executed every timestep and sorts out the specific things about your
skateboard.
I suggest the following:
- Have a body (main) without geom, where your wheels/axis are connected with a
hinge2 each.
- Have a second body (board) with a geom, which you link with a hinge into the
main body. The board can tilt left and right. with respect to the main body.
- make the board tilt hard: use dJointGetAngle to obtain current angular
position. use dJointAddForce  to apply the force you need to keep it in the
center position. You can use different force profiles, since a linear spring
implementation might not be what you want.
- steer the wheels according to the angle: you just got the angular position
of the board, now apply it to the hinge2 joints with an angularmotor

Have fun!

	Georg

--
---- Georg Martius,  Tel: +49 177 6413311  -----