[ODE] How to model a skateboard?

Bram Stolk b.stolk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:45:56 MST 2007

Well, if you want your L and R wheels to turn at different speeds, I would
go for:

Hinge2 joint for each wheel, and for each pair, have axis1 coincide.

Body for board
Body for each wheel

Cyl geom for each wheel
Box geom for board (or alternatively, trimesh)

It's an interesting simulation, as a skateboard steering has really one
degree of control by the rider.
Lean left: front truck turns right, rear truck turns left
Lean right: front truck turns left, rear truck turns right

Fun project!!!!

  Bram

On 10/25/07, Salik Syed <ssyed at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to make a very "loose" approximation of a skateboard.
> The problem is that I do not really want to model the complex linkage
> between the trucks
> and wheels because this causes my simulation to be too unstable.
> So instead I'm just modelling it as a box with wheels that can only
> rotate in the axles axis.
>
> I want to use the car turning model to turn the robot:
> so basically you have 3 simple formulas:
> change in angle of board = velocity * tan(steering angle)
>
> How can I use ODE to simulate a body that would operate under these
> conditions.

Zapp: Captain's log, stardate...er..
Kif: Ohhh. April 13th.
Zapp: April 13th. Point 2.