[ODE] is ODE multi-threaded?

Bram Stolk b.stolk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:02:33 MST 2007

ODE is not multithreaded.
If you profile your application, and it turns out that collision detection
and the solver have similar runtimes, you could try application-space
multithreading. (2 threads).
However, you would end up with a 2-stage pipeline, where the solver for
frame N uses collisions from frame N-1.
Not sure if you would encounter race-conditions though.
You would at minimum need to use two different joint-groups for contacts.
It would make an interesting experiment.
Anyone here got some profile stats lying around that can be shared?
I'm interested in the comparision between dSpaceCollide() and
dWorldQuickStep()

   Bram

On 10/2/07, Erick van Rijk < emvr at etv.cx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a quick question about ODE.
> Is it multi-threaded so it can take advantage of multi-core
> architectures?
> I looked at the mailing list archives and there was mention of the
> possibility of multi-threaded ODE back in 2006.
> But nothing recent has shown up in my googles. the FAQ also doesn't
> explicitly mention anything anything about parallelism.
>
> Thanks
>
> Erick

Zapp: Captain's log, stardate...er..
Kif: Ohhh. April 13th.