[ODE] CFM, ERP, stepsize, bNormalizationResult failed

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Nov 20 19:55:56 MST 2007

It's not possible to simulate "perfectly stiff" joints in ODE, because
it is a solver that will find the system out of sync each step, and each
step try to bring it into sync based on the rules (constraints) you
provide. Something as simple as gravity will pull the system out of
sync. This is just a fact of life with game physics simulations (you get
similar behaviors in PhysX, Havok, et al).

However, you should be able to use tighter constraints (0.9 and 0.0001,
say) if you apply rotational dampening to each body each step. Try this,
for each body, for each step:

  float const *f = dBodyGetAVel(body);
  scale = get_body_scalar_mass(body) * 0.01;
  dBodyAddTorque(body, -f[0] * scale, -f[1] * scale, -f[2] * scale);

This ought to stabilize the system without negatively affecting the
simulation too much.
You can do the same thing with linear velocity, too.

Cheers,

          / h+