[ODE] Wiki Spam

Bram Stolk b.stolk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 09:13:38 MST 2007

THanks ,

I tried to access the Sourceforge Admin/Wiki page.
However, it seems broken.
Maybe the SF team is doing something with it?

I will try every now and then, to see if I can get to the Admin section, and
disable the wiki.
Also, the wiki pages itself are extremely slow, and if I click on 'recent
changes' the spam does not show up.
You were talking about the SF wiki, right? And not the old one?

  Bram

On Nov 17, 2007 7:40 AM, Martijn <buijs512 at planet.nl> wrote:

> Many pages of the Wiki have been spammed. I strongly suggest we take
> action NOW. I have shut down at least two Wiki projects in the past,
> solely due to spam, and was forced to manually rebuild one of them from
> scratch.
>
> About 500 spam bots have registered by now, and they will probably
> become active one by one after a while. The problem is that there's no
> way to delete these accounts (a deliberate MediaWiki feature) without
> risking errors.
> Spam quickly fills the database due to both the spam and the rollbacks,
> and makes it slower than it already is.
>
> There are some third party anti-spam measures available for MediaWiki, I
> have tried many of them but honestly I doubt about their effectiveness.
> I suggest blocking un-registered edits, and installing a captcha for
> wiki account registration.
> This is against the Wiki-spirit, but it seems to be the only way to
> prevent spam. I think there are to few regular wiki-editors to roll back
> spam-edits manually.
>
> Who is the ODE wiki admin? I'm not a wiki expert, but perhaps I can
> assist keeping it in good shape.
>
> Martijn

Zapp: Captain's log, stardate...er..
Kif: Ohhh. April 13th.