[ODE] Bike Balancing!

James Steele james.steele at greentube.com
Fri Nov 9 07:47:50 MST 2007

I just thought I'd give an update on how I'm going with the
bike-balancing stuff

I'm not after total realism, just a way to control the leab angle of the
bike to make it look real and stop it from falling over.

As a quick attempt at the "push force" I set it up so that a push/pull
spring was setup at either side of the bike.  Think of two lines
extending from the left and right sides of the bike that are parallel
with a ground plane.

 From the ends of theses lines, I apply a force based on the distance
from each point to a point above the COM of the bike.  The springs keep
the bike up right, but it does tend to osccilate like crazy after some
movement due to the complete lack of dampening forces (and probably
because the spring force being applied is far too large)

But the general behaviour of balancing is there, it's just very crude
and tends to break :op  But with a bit of tweaking it can be made to
tilt/push the bike into a lean and back to the neutral position again
depending on steering angle and speed.

I'm thinking that really, this could be done as a new constraint type
that pushes and rotates a body sort of like the amotor joint does already.

--

James Steele

3D / Physics Programmer

james.steele at greentube.com

Greentube Internet Entertainment Solutions AG

Mariahilfer Straße 47/1/102

A-1060 Wien

FN 197003k, HG Wien

Tel: +43 1 494 50 56

Fax: +43 1 494 50 56 - 14

http://www.greentube.com/

------------------------------------
Internet Email Confidentiality Footer
Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this message. If
delivery of the message to this person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by replying. Please make it known
immediately  f you or your employer does not consent to the medium of
e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business
of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.