[ODE] Bike Balancing!

Eike Decker eike at cube3d.de
Thu Nov 8 17:13:14 MST 2007

Putting the COG below the vehicle did not work in my case as it changed the
behaviour of the bike in case of jumps or uphill/downhill driving in an
unrealistic way. And in case of a collision, the bike did not flip over but was
pressed to the ground, which also looked unrealistic.

If the COG is on the ground, the vehicle is quite stable, but it also stays in
its position when it should turn over...

Putting it high above the bike made it easier to balance but it became slower to
move. I've put it a bit below the wheel's axis. The hardest part was to find
right parameters to damp the required countersteering for the balancing code so
that it stabilizes well at low and high speed, as well as switching on external
forces when at very low speed so that the bike does not tip over. I would
suggest to implement the countersteering mechanism, it can be done quite
quickly and works really well, and maybe you don't even need a different
approach for high speeds. After all the stuff I tried out I think that if I did
the balancing code that way at first, I would have saved lot's of time.

My problem at high speeds is not because of the steering but because the bodies
make too much movement between two simulation steps.

Eike