[ODE] world update - best practices?

Patrick Enoch Hendrix_ at gmx.net
Thu May 24 16:11:42 MST 2007

Hi,

AFAIK there is exactly one optimal "W" to a matrix that you solve by
SOR, it is between 1.0 and 2.0.
The convergence speed varies if you deviate from this optimal "W".
Most of the time, a rule-of-thumb "W" is known for that particular
problem (or someone found out about it by trial-and-error), and you
should use just that.

It is a good idea to underestimate the "W", because convergence speed
drops very quickly if you use a larger value than the optimal "W".

--
Wikipedia is very technical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Successive_over_relaxation

And the linked article is okay:
http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~tim/open/sor
Note: you can set a "W" smaller than 1.0. This is not "foolish" as
stated in the linked articel - it is called "underrelaxation". But
you dont need that for constant matrices.
--

The iterations of SOR are very cheap (and time is linear to the
number SOR iterations). So if you have idle time in your game, it is

Patrick