[ODE] Realistic friction based on material.

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri May 18 09:14:33 MST 2007

Jose Marin wrote:
> I think that I must check the material of each object evolved on the collision, and set the value of surface.mu, on the nearCallback function, right?
>
> Is there any table with friction constants for most common materials?
>
> And havint that, how I set the correct resulting value for surface.mu? Multiply? Sum?

This is a common problem. Yes, there are such tables, in various
mechanical (and sometimes chemical) reference books. You'll have to go
to a library and do some research.

No, you can't multiply or sum them and expect the results to work. Each
pair has to be separately measured, so you need a big table.

Last: ODE does not model rolling friction, only sliding friction. Thus,
you have to apply inertial dampening yourself to model rolling friction.

Cheers,

          / h+