[ODE] How to compose complex physical scene from given 3D Max graphical scene, using ODE objects?

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Mon May 14 04:57:36 MST 2007

Dmitry Medvedev wrote:
>  Hello, everybody.
>
>  I want to use ode for physics simulation in a 3D game like Humster Ball, where we have a 3D level, made of many roofs, trampolines, propellers, a lot of curvative hills and other surfaces.
>  The question is how to present such huge variety of complex curved objects with simple ODE objects like cylinders, boxes, spheres.
>  Does anybody had such a dilemma: either use ODE meshes to present all this or write a tool to assemble a physical part of a level with simple ODE objects. What way is preferable anyway?

I approximate the visual geometry with a collection of ODE geometries.
This works fine in my physics based game www.sturmbahnfahrer.com

  Bram

>  Thank you.

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."