[ODE] Any way to get the normal at a point on the surface of a geom?

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Tue May 8 11:37:44 MST 2007

I've further examined the situation I emailed about a few hours ago,
and realize now that I *am* getting the ray intersection when the ray
is emitted from inside a geom. Furthermore, I better read the
documentation and see that a ray will never generate more than one
contact with a geom.

So, that being said, the only way I can think of to tell if a point
is inside some geom or trimesh in the environment is to cast a ray
and to check the normal generated when it collides with a geom. If
the dot product of the ray direction and the normal is greater than
zero, the ray origin is inside the geom. The trouble is, the normal
generated, according to the documentation, is configured for
reflection. So a ray cast from inside a geom will get a normal that
reflects back into the geom. This doesn't help me at all!

How can I get the *actual* normal of the geom at the ray-intersection
point?

shamyl at zakariya.net
     "obviously, you're not a golfer"
         -- the Dude