[ODE] Holes

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.com
Wed Mar 21 03:14:13 MST 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:33:19PM +0100, naspiri wrote:

> My first mail to this list, glad to be here :-)

so this is my first attempt in helping out here - so both will be
flamed ;)

> ... My english isn't so well, I only hope it's understandable...  I'm
> a newbie, using ODE in a pool game, I made a demo with balls rolling
> and colliding on a table, but now I would introduce the holes... How
> can I make that? How can I create a hole on a plane with ODE?  I think
> there are different ways and one is trimesh I suppose... is it the
> only option?

one part i really dont like about aproximating holes with a trimesh is
the fact, that there might odd things happening (speaking out of pure
inexperience) - depending on how much tris you are acutally using.

for a pool simulation i would consider experimenting in the area of
using a cylinder where the hole is (this way you can generate different
table sizes (7", 8", 9", 12") and also ball sizes programmatically
(regular, snooker) - and snooker tables have round edges near the
holes).

when colliding and the sphere with the cylinder and the depth of the
contact is bigger than the radius the ball falls in. does this sound
reasonable to the ode gurus here?

of course this way you would not be able to account for effects like
balls jumping out of pockets again because the ball would not really
have a hole to fall in - just a "place" on the plane where it happens.

--
cu