[ODE] box vs xxxx colliders

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Tue Mar 13 02:48:41 MST 2007

Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:
> Also, there is now some thin layer that is considered "acceptable"
> within a collision, I think. I don't remember what it is called. You may
> wish to set the size of that layer to 0, if it isn't already.

void  dWorldSetContactSurfaceLayer (dWorldID, dReal depth);
dReal dWorldGetContactSurfaceLayer (dWorldID);

Set and get the depth of the surface layer around all geometry objects. Contacts are allowed to sink into the surface layer up to the given depth before coming to rest. The default value is zero. Increasing this to some small value (e.g. 0.001) can help prevent jittering problems due to contacts being repeatedly made and broken.

Also:
It would help if you render the contact points, as the
't' option of test_boxstack does.
This way you can check if the contacts are ok, and
whether they are oscillating on/off or not.

> Cheers,
>
>           / h+
>

> Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:
>> Is the time step variable or fixed size?
>> What are your world ERP and CFM values? I'd try 0.5 ERP and 0.001 CFM
>> for a stable simulation, and go from there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>           / h+
>>

>> LR wrote:
>>
>>> when i put a box on a static box, the geometry penetrates for 1 or 2
>>> milimeters inside the static box (within 10 or 20 steps ) and then is
>>> ejected : that cause something on a box is not really stable.

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."