[ODE] dBodyGetForce returns zero force

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jun 28 15:11:51 MST 2007

If you go this route, beware that, because of the way the integrator
works, certain joints may be very jittery from frame to frame, but be OK
in the averaged case. I would recommend returning a force value averaged
over at least the last four frames to get a de-jittered value. Also, a
leaky integrator only has 6 dB/oct rejection for jitter, so it may be
better to integrate some known number of steps each time, rather than
trying to keep a running average. (Illustration of the bad, 6dB/oct,
running average method:  blah = oldBlah * (1-lambda) + newBlah * lambda)

Cheers,

          / h+