[ODE] ODE spatial inconsistency

Marcin Pilat pilat at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Jun 21 10:22:53 MST 2007

Thanks Jon,

I guess I failed to state that in my mails - I am running the
deterministic version of ODE (using dWorldStep) and when I run the
sample at the same x,y position, the result is identical every run.
However, the problem arises when I vary that x,y position.

Somebody just pointed out in an email that physics engines such as
ODE have accuracy that varies with position.  That would explain the
results I am getting with the sample (the graphs, etc).  Can any of
you explain why that is the case though and/or provide some
literature on the topic?

Another sample result I've noticed that seems to validate this
observation:  2 blocks, side by side, no joint, one 0.01 step through
dWorldStep, 2 experiments: one starting at 0.01, another at 0.02 in x
direction.  Result is 0.00777778 in x (for 0.01) and 0.0177778 in x
(for 0.02).  As you can see that we have lost one decimal place of
accuracy just between those two. Between 0.0 and 0.1 there are 2
decimal places lost.

I realize that rounding is a bad idea in the long run that only masks
problems - but I'm looking for any ideas that will enable me to use
ODE for further experiments even if it has such problems.

Thanks,

Marcin