[ODE] how to compile an independent ode app on macosx

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Mon Jun 18 11:21:11 MST 2007

You can build it in the old fashioned way with the ./configure --
enable-release --enable-foo && make && make install. Works on my
Macbook Pro.

This will put ODE headers in /usr/local/include and libs in /usr/
local/lib -- furthermore, all the demos will work from the command line.

Then, you can build an app in Xcode which uses ode by dragging /usr/
local/lib/libode.a into the project ( or adding it from Xcode ) and
adding /usr/local/include to the header search paths for the project
(or target if that's what you want).

This will get you ODE. That being said, I don't use drawstuff, so I
don't know if there's a libdrawstuff.a floating around.

Now, that being said, I don't know how I'd build a universal version
of ODE -- I've tried cross-compiling but not had any real luck. You
might be best off building ODE on two machines, one a PPC and one
Intel and then using lipo to merge the binaries. Finally, Xcode has a
"feature" where if a .dylib is available alongside a static ".a"
library, it will simply *refuse* to use the static lib. So if you
don't need the dylibs, delete them. This will guarantee that the
static libs will be directly linked into your app executable. If
that's not what you want, there's other finagling you can do. Check
out install_name_tool to massage dylibs to be embeddable into .app
packages.

shamyl at zakariya.net
	"shaking fist at indifferent cosmos"