[ODE] Representing external simulation objects in ODE on a trajectory

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Jul 30 12:42:36 MST 2007

ODE is a penetration based solver, somewhat similar to penalty based
methods. This means that, the deeper an object is embedded into another,
the more force will be applied to the body to separate it. When you're
moving a kinematic object (only a geom), then you run into the risk of
making an object penetrate severely in a single time step, which might
kick it using a very hard force. There is some help in setting ERP
lower, or setting the "maximum allowed escape velocity" parameter -- but
then, if the kinematic object moves quickly, the pushed object might not
keep up.

In general, resting contacts are hard, and resting contacts on moving
bodies are even harder. If that's what you want to do, you might want to
use a heavy body, and drive it with strong forces towards the desired
location, rather than using a bodyless geom. Try both and see which one
is better.

Also, smaller time steps help, up to a limit. Time steps smaller than,
say, 1 millisecond are likely to start introducing problems because of
the small values involved (and the inverse of those values).

Cheers,

			/ h+