[ODE] Arbitrarily positioning bodies connected by joints

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Tue Jul 17 07:44:13 MST 2007

I'm interested in being able to move a set of bodies connected by
arbitrary joints. That is to say, I want to be able to assemble them
at, for example the origin, and then move the whole thing to some
arbitrary position and orientation later. For example I might
assemble a "car" and then move it to where I want it to go.

I'm able to move all the bodies retaining their positions in relation
to one another. But, unfortunately, the joints go bonkers to varying
degrees. The best behaved is the ball joint, which ( I guess )
considers its position to be relative to the parent. But other
joints, such as hinge and slider seem to freak out a little.

Just to clarify, when I move the bodies I zero out all forces on
them. I've verified that if I move a bunch of bodies that aren't
connected by any joints they *do* retain their relative positions
correctly. So the issue is that the joints don't seem to enjoy being
suddenly moved/oriented.

My current approach is simply to not do anything to the joints, and
assume (hope) that ode considers their attachment points in the
coordinate systems of the bodies they connect. But as I've described,
this doesn't really work. I've considered destroying the joints,
performing the move, and the re-creating them, but this may change
their zero-points since a connected system ( two bodies connected by
a "servo", for example ) may have moved before I positioned it.

Any suggestions for me?

Shamyl Zakariya
	- hobo-raconteur