[ODE] code quality again

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:58:06 MST 2007

On 7/16/07, Remi Ricard <remi.ricard at simlog.com> wrote:
> A new developers can get write access if:
> He send patches and they respect standard and they don't introduce
> error. After 2 or what ever patches he can get write access.

What I look for is someone who submits high-quality patches (fixes a
single issue, follows coding conventions, well-commented),
demonstrates an understanding of the code internals, and works well
with the community (soliciting input for the patch, and responding to
any issues afterwards). This actually just came up on another project
I'm working on.

The problem with the patches isn't so much getting them applied as
much as having someone try them out. We had a problem with that. A
patch would get applied, no one would really test it out, and then
we'd find out much later that it introduced a problem that was now
difficult to back out. I'm willing to apply some patches if some folks
will step forward and commit to testing them.

The older patches are tough because the code has changed quite a bit
and they can no longer be easily applied.

Jason