[ODE] ODE with non-penetration constraint

Nguyen Binh ngbinh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:04:13 MST 2007

True! As far as i know, people can use a modified version of Coulomb
friction model : the polygonal friction model to approximate well enough
most types of materials.
The friction polygonal will be calculated through experiments.

On 7/12/07, Bill Sellers <wis at mac.com> wrote:

> No, I mean it is only an approximation of reality and then only for
> fairly smooth, rigid surfaces. Soft materials like rubber just don't
> behave that way. The friction force is not linearly related to normal
> force and velocity and contact area both have significant effects.
> Once you add in any sort of tread then it gets even worse. The
> Coulomb model is really just a convenience so we can quote
> coefficients of friction at each other ;->
>
> However I doubt this has much effect on most people's simulations!
>
> Cheers
> Bill
>
> On 12 Jul 2007, at 15:51, Nguyen Binh wrote:
>

> > Of course most material combinations don't follow the Coloumb
> > friction model either...
> >
> > You meant Coloumb friction is also not accurate enough? I've talked
> > to people who study friction and most of them told me Coloumb is
> > good enough for rigid objects.Hertz model is another welknown
> > friction model but it's almost impossible to simulate.
> >

> > --

Binh Nguyen
Computer Science Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute