[ODE] code quality again

Remi Ricard remi.ricard at simlog.com
Wed Jul 11 19:01:07 MST 2007

Hi,

>> There are two problems facing ODE, or any fundamentally hard open source
>> project:
>>
>> 1) Solid physics simulation is actually a hard problem that requires
>> significant rigor. Such rigor is actually not commonly found among open
>> source developers or hobbyists.

Looking at software using ODE there is lots of paid programmer looking
or at least using it. If some of them use 1hrs a week/month to improve
and send patch for ODE the code base can be improved quickly and this
will create some momentum.

> I'd agree, but numerical rigor for physical simulation is a different
> problem to that which is ultimately quite straightforward - such as
> using a style similar to the surrounding code when applying patches as
> opposed to just mixing and matching with your own style, not leaving
> single statements and/or huge blocks of code commented out without any
> explanation as to why, being careful to free dynamically allocated
> memory through all code paths, etc. I think some relatively minor
> improvements could make a huge difference to ODE's codebase, and may
> encourage others to get stuck in.

I agree !!!

--- cut ---

 > I also remember somebody else a
> few months ago volunteering to make a start on some code quality
> improvements.

I don't know if I'm the one you are taking about but I sent an email
April 9 2007 "Coding style in ODE "
(http://ode.org/pipermail/ode/2007-April/021753.html)
about using astyle and a test file for formatting.

It is only about formatting but other coding standard can be added to it.

> What if  patches were reviewed in some way before inclusion in the
> repository? If going back and 'restyling' much of ODE is too
> inconvenient for reasons already discussed on the previous thread might
> it be worthwhile just to make sure things don't get any worse?

And maybe the programming with CVS access can reformat the surrounding
of the patch.

> Also it seems like this mailing list is the primary means of
> communication regarding all aspects of ODE - what if greater use were
> made of the bug/feature/patch trackers in SourceForge?

Some people with cvs access should review patch on SF. Some of the patch
are really old.

Remi