[ODE] Capsule/TriMesh collision

David Walters hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 6 01:41:16 MST 2007

> > Are there any known issues with capsule/trimesh collision? I'm finding
> > that if I drop a capsule onto a static box-shaped trimesh geom, such
> > that the 'length' of the capsule hits the ground square on, then no
> > contact points are generated. If apply a tiny rotation to the capsule
> > before letting it fall, then it collides as expected.
> >

> I should probably mention this is using GIMPACT with ODE 0.8

I've seen this problem with a capsule used for a player avatar,
oriented upright (zero rotation) and that will pass through "walls",
triangles coplanar to the Y axis.

Switching back to OPCODE fixed the problem. To possibly solve it - I
believe there is a new version GIMPACT around, although I'm not sure
how easy it would be to upgrade the ODE integrated one we've got.

Also, don't forget you can switch to just use the trimesh / trimesh
collider that Francisco wrote by using the
dTRIMESH_OPCODE_USE_NEW_TRIMESH_TRIMESH_COLLIDER build option. This is
what I use and this seems to give you the best of both worlds.

Regards,
David Walters