[ODE] Ray - TriMesh collision Problem - Help request

Pawel Kmiotek lewapq at tlen.pl
Wed Jan 31 03:12:10 MST 2007

Hello !

I have problems with Ray vs Trimesh collision.

I'm tring to implement a sensor ( range finder ) based on rays. Thus I
only detect collisions but do nothing about it.

Below there are links to screenshots represent correct collision
detection and incorect one.

The almost-cube building is a Box while the more-rectangular one is a
TriMesh. As you can see collision with box always produces correct
collisions, while trimesh not.

I've used OgreOde with ODE-0.7 and 0DE-0.8-rc1. I hoped that version 0.8
  will bring me a resolution but nothing of that kind. I have also found
in the mailing list archives comment:

  "The GIMPACT code seems to work, there is only an issue left with:
dGeomTriMeshDataBuildSimple
which as far as I know is not solved yet"
(http://ode.org/pipermail/ode/2007-January/021323.html)

OgreOde uses mentioned funtion to create a trimesh. May it be a source
of my problems ?

http://www.prinel.pl/Good-From-Above.jpg
http://www.prinel.pl/Good-From-Below.jpg

http://www.prinel.pl/Bad-From-Above.jpg
http://www.prinel.pl/Bad-From-Below.jpg

Maybe the following problem were already covered somewhere but I haven't
found any relevant information.

I would be grateful for any piece of advice how to solve the problem.

Best regards,
Pawel