[ODE] Exception Handling

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Jan 30 14:32:01 MST 2007

C linkage means that people using Delphi, or Visual Basic, or even plain
C, can use the library. It also makes for a simple P/Invoke import path
to managed languages (such as C#). With native C++ exceptions in the
mix, it's a whole other ballpark -- while you might still be able to
link against the ODE library, any exception thrown will likely end up
with application termination.

We keep getting questions about using ODE in all kinds of wacky
languages, so I assume it's something that's actively used.

Also: with C linkage, ODE is not compiler version dependent. With C++
linkage, each version of Visual Studio (or GCC) would need its own copy
of the DLL.

Cheers,

             / h+