[ODE] Curious behavior with a simple gravity example

jcwode@nym.hush.com jcwode at nym.hush.com
Wed Jan 24 23:27:19 MST 2007

Thanks Jon!

I figured it was some sort of misunderstanding on my part.  Another
person did respond with a pretty informative link about first order
Euler integrators.

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/eControlHTML/Sim/Sim1.html

So that answers my question about the slightly irregular values I
was seeing for dWorldStep() and dWorldStepFast1().  But shouldn't
the values from dWorldQuickStep() have also varied with the step
size?

>From my tests it seems that it acts as if I had only taken one
giant step instead of many small steps. (ie. an acceleration of -10
for 1 second results in a final displacement of -10)

-Josh

(P.S. I hope this one is appended to the thread, rather than starts
a new one)