[ODE] Curious behavior with a simple gravity example

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Jan 24 20:09:11 MST 2007

jcwode at nym.hush.com wrote:
> To me, this is a serious issue.  Why would a simple body,
> accelerated only by gravity, move differently depending on the
> resolution of the step taken when the total time covered by the
> steps is constant?

ODE uses a first order integrator, much like most other game physics
engines you can find. This means that the integration result is
dependent on the size of the time step. This is one of the reasons why a
fixed time step should always be used with ODE, or almost any other game
physics library.

Cheers,

          / h+