[ODE] Front wheels of car

Remi Ricard remi.ricard at simlog.com
Mon Jan 15 10:46:46 MST 2007

Hi,

I have problems with the front wheel of my car.

I must follow the "Ackermann steering"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry)
so they don't have the same angles. They have a small difference.

For now they are both connected to the frame with Hinge2 and I change
the orientation of each wheel by calculating their new angle.
(Both wheel must have the same center of rotation but they have a
different radius). Using this new angle with the current angle I find a
speed and use this value to set the velocity of the joint.

This is working well most of the time.

The problem arise when one of the wheel get stuck then they go out of sync.

So how can I keep them in sync ??

I was thinking of setting a bar/body between the two but how can I
attach the bar to the first axis of the Hinge2.

Any help will be welcome.

Remi