[ODE] Failed capsule-box collision

Tim Sorrells tsorrells at breakawayltd.com
Tue Jan 9 08:32:12 MST 2007

I'm trying to track down an oddity between a capsule and a box I'm
colliding in ODE.  The box is a stationary geom with no body, and I
spawn a capsule above it and let gravity do it's thing.  When the
capsule collides it reports a collision took place, however visually
nothing seems to change with the falling capsule.  It continues to fall
right through the box.  The values I'm getting in the dContactGeom are
strange as well.  The values are always identical all the way through
the box: depth 0.001684, normal (1.0 0.0 0.0).  This is odd since the
capsule falls through the box so you'd expect the depth to be
increasing.  It's also hitting the box from above, so you'd expect the
normal to be positive Z instead of X.

I tried swapping the box out with a capsule and the collision works
correctly with the falling capsule bouncing down the side.  Any ideas?