[ODE] A question about multiple geoms for one body

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Wed Feb 28 09:23:01 MST 2007

I've been using ODE for a few years, but I'm embarrassed to say that
I've never gone beyond the one-geom-one-body approach. I'm interested
in giving a stab at having multiple geoms attached to a single body,
for rigid but complex kinematic bodies.

So, I have a few questions.

1) If it's really as easy as people on the mailing list describe it,
can I really just add multiple geoms to one body? So, can I just call
dGeomSetBody on multiple geoms to a single body?

2) How do I represent the geom's local transformation relative to the
body? Is this where dGeomTransform comes in? Or is it a separate
mechanism?

3) Once this is done, and the simulation is running, I obviously
can't just call dBodyGetPosition or dBodyGetRotation; I'll have to
get the geom's local position/rotation and combine that with the
body's position and rotation. Is there an automatic way to do this?
Will calling dGeomGetPosition and dGeomGetRotation have this taken
care of already?

Thanks,

Shamyl Zakariya
	"there is no emoticon, for what I am feeling"