[ODE] New Joints format

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Wed Feb 7 01:26:51 MST 2007

Hi All,

Often the best way of achieving a particular effect (best as in
stable and quick) is to create a new joint. Whilst this isn't
particularly difficult in the current ODE (although some extra
documentation would help) once you've written your custom joint it is
a real pain to keep on top of code revisions because you need to keep
private copies of 5 different files and repatch the new ones. It
seems to me that we could probably come up with a format that allows
just a single custom_joints.cpp and custom_joints.h file - preferably
that can be defined at ./configure time. Certainly all the changes to
joint.cpp, joint.h, ode.cpp would be fine. The changes in objects.h
would also be fine since anyone using a custom joint can probably
cope with being careful not to use the non-public interface to their
new joint. The only real problem is common.h since you need to add
extra joint types and the easiest way I can think of to fix that is
to include a few dJointTypeUser1, dJointTypeUser2, dJointTypeUser3
definitions at the end of the enum. There isn't really any overhead
associated with doing that - I'd add 100 extra definitions to make
sure there are enough for anyone (and the enum will still fit into a
char if that is what your compiler wants to do).

Cheers
Bill