[ODE] XML Formats

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Tue Feb 6 01:12:04 MST 2007

I don't think there is a standard. The various big commercial
simulators have their own formats some of which are XML and some of
which aren't. There are some XML libraries for ODE but the last time
I looked they didn't have enough options to be really useful
(certainly in my case) and this is probably because a full simulation
needs ODE and several other things that ODE doesn't provide
(controllers, springs, graphics, force generators) but that you
probably want to include in the XML specification. It then becomes
easier to roll your own to add all the extra bits rather than adapt
someone else's. I had a play with H-Anim and as I remember it's
basically a VRML tree with all the segments specified relative to the
previous segment which makes sense but isn't how ODE looks at the
world - you end up doing a fair bit of your own geometry to get it
all working. H-Anim also doesn't (or didn't) include any inertial
properties. However there are various VR/graphics projects that embed
ODE and they may have all you need.

Cheers
Bill